Thursday, October 29, 2009

Hook-In at Marla's Lakehouse - Primitive Rug Hooking




Today, I went to Marla's lakehouse. It is on a small private lake north of town. Cute as a button! The purpose was fellowship and food... a hook-in for the "hookers". Rug hooking is amazing in that five women could be working on the exact same pattern, even using similar materials and they would all be unique to that woman. It is an art started by women who used the burlap feed sacks and old wool clothes to create rugs for their homes. Now, many patterns are on fine linen and the wool is hand dyed... still... the art goes on...



There was a dozen of us who brought food and whatever we happened to be working on at the time.




I didn't really start taking pictures until late in the game, so I missed some folks... and some projects that were really cool.



This is Dee and Sue. Dee led me to this group SEVERAL years ago and I only realized while I was uploading pictures that I MISSED photographing Dee's project! That she finished today... only to be talked into working on mine (while I knitted... imagine that). Sue is prolific! Most of the rugs pictured in here are hers, including the cute sheep guys at the start.



This is Sue's current project.



A wonderful fall scene... scarecrows, pumpkins and crows, who obviously do not appreciate the fact they are supposed to be "scared" away.





This is Marla... she was the hostess with the most-est today! Thank you for your warm hospitality, Marla!



She is very close to finishing her project, too.



It will be a beautiful table runner when it is finished.



Martha is another prolific hooker!! She can finish a room sized rug before I have time to do a place mat!! Her constant theme is America... red, white and blue. Nobody does it better.




These are some of Sue's ladies...











And, her dog friends... Hers is the little angel in the lower left corner... with the halo. =)



I had a great time today... the fellowship was fabulous... the inspiration, outrageous... but, let me just say, these little cakes were the favorite part of my day!! Thank you, Kerry!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great rugs, so happy to have found your blog this morning.
Look like everyone had a great time. Don't you love getting together with other rug hookers.

Anonymous said...

Can't believe this remarkable coincidence. The Sue in this blog posting is the Sue that told me about Pine Needles and the Women's Golfari! Small world! mks

Anonymous said...

Very nnice rugs! :)

Jennifer Holmes said...

Ooohhh! I want to do the sheep rug! Will you share where I can get the pattern? Love it :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Numbers 6:24-26

The Lord bless you and keep you;
the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you;
the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.