Saturday, October 24, 2009

Fitness Project - a.k.a. The Wagon



The toe-hold grew tenuous after Little Man's visit to Texas. For those of you who might not know, I started a "boot camp" re-entry to fitness in September. It was brutal; I survived. Then for eleven days I did no exercise. Zero. Zip. Nada. By the way, I gained three pounds in boot camp... that was eating exactly as prescribed... and making all my camp days.

So, I admit there was a little wavering on my commitment to get strong and fit. Okay, a lot of wavering. You lose momentum when you sit on the couch. Inertia sets in. The conversation goes, "Well, it wasn't working anyway. You were gaining more weight. It will be really hard again. Why does it really matter? Why don't you just accept that you are old and fat? Acceptance = Peace. Blah... Blah... Blah... " You get the picture. We all know how persuasive that voice can be. Downright mesmerizing!



But, I am most happy to report that for two weeks straight I have stayed on my own program of weight training and running. That's right. I've started back running. Apparently, a resting heart rate of 54, that I had come to believe was my natural birthright, was not. I was quite surprised when I started using my heart rate monitor again... amazing how far one can fall while not paying attention. I think that applies to all things in life. We don't pay attention... they slip away.

This morning, I am celebrating two weeks firmly ON THE WAGON! Woo hoo!

8 comments:

Katherine said...

I'm so proud of you for recommiting yourself to a program that you know and works for you! That says a lot, that you were able to find the inner strength to keep going! I know it's not easy so WAY TO GO!

nanny said...

Congratulations, that is awesome. I've never been to a boot camp class, don't think they have them in my area (not that I could survive one) I hear they are brutal!!!!!! I never missed exercise class for many years, and now it has been years since I have got my "too busy" self in a gym....I have got to put that back on my list......

Amanda said...

Congratulations - glad to hear that you're taking charge of the wagon. Love you.

Dana said...

Man, I need some motivation too! I love my saturday morning step class but can't get motivated to go to any others. I enjoy the monday night core class but am just too tired after work. I was faithful going to the gym this summer when I wasn't working but just can't seem to keep it up during the year! I think I've already gained back the few pounds I lost this summer! :-(

Linda said...

Just stopping by and thought I'd leave a message, hope you don't mind.

I've thought about doing the boot camp thing too but my sister reports the same problem, she gained weight. Heck, I can do that on my own!

I wish I was a runner. I really don't mind it but think I would do so much better with a partner. I need to find myself a partner! You should be proud of yourself for sticking with it so far. I know it's not easy. I've started a diet very recently and it all takes alot of effort and work but like me, you sound determined. Keep up the good work and good luck!

Joyce said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. Boot camp is hard work and I have a built in little person in my head that screams at me to get up and hit the gym every day. Problem is some days I just turn off my hearing aid so that I do not have to hear that little person:) I have lost 10 pounds this summer by diet and exercise and the exercise as much as I hate to admit it sure does keep the weight off. Keep running! Your little GS is adorable!
Joyce

Solar Powered said...

I worked out really hard with a trainer and did boot camp twice a week before my 30th. It was my vow to get in the best shape of my life. That I did but the scale never changed...NEVER! Go girl!
I hope to start working out and running again in the very near future, gotta set my mind to it.

I love your blog, love Amanda's and Alex is too precious.

Tanna said...

Thank you ALL!!! Encouragement is a blessing and wonderful gift!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Numbers 6:24-26

The Lord bless you and keep you;
the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you;
the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.