Thursday, April 9, 2009

Backyard Makeover -- My Hidden Garden



For the last two years, my work on the rental properties has left our own home in a neglected state. I am a soul who needs a haven at home... an enclave... a place to feel close to God... to feel my heart fill to overflowing with appreciation and gratitude for the beauty and perfection of nature... to know God has blessed me richly... to make me glad to be home...



This is where we start. There was once grass sodded there. Too much shade, too little attention... ergo, a bald, badlands backyard. Overgrown, misshapen shrubs. Empty pots... with faded memories of better days laden with beautiful flowers...


I had this vision of pea gravel... a courtyard of sorts... quit fighting the shade and just go with it...
And, so we begin. Layer of weed barrier... and ready for the gravel.

This became my inspiration piece... I saw it at Lowe's the week before the gravel guys came... I love its simple grace... my Green Obelisk.


After the gravel was poured, it took me two full days to be satisfied with my arrangement... I LOVE this spot now... Evan and I have enjoyed sitting with a cold drink each afternoon this week... it is a haven to us... =)


Slight cover for the area under the deck... all with gravel flooring now! =)


These petunias were just too tempting... probably will not thrive in the shaded back yard... but, if they begin to suffer too much, I will move them to a sunnier spot... until then I am enjoying my purple and green and white...



Okay, these are cheap, $16 Adirondack chairs from Lowe's... the table I picked up at the Gresham Barn Sale! Too fun! The bottom is rusted... the top is slate... suites my love for the eclectic!



Velvet, Queen of The Brickstreet Bungalow, helped me work for hours...


I have to say I might be MOST excited about this plant! It is a tree fern... says it can get to 20 feet tall! I doubt that in one season, in a pot, that could ever occur... but, I am excited to see what it will do!



This little bench... =) Just makes me smile... =) Can't help myself!



Even the broken pots are being used... there are still some to plant, as you can see in the background. I can't wait to see these after about six weeks!


My Mom and Dad gave me this angel...


I'm on the lookout for a "street sign post" now! Found these at the Gresham Barn Sale, too! I am going to find something to use as a post... and make the street sign an anchor for strings of lights!!


Another find... in the W.I.P. (work in progress) area.


All these new little babies will be full and flowering soon...

I love variegated ginger... It will give color in shade or sun... it is just happy to grow.

I also love snake plant, aka mother-in-law's tongue. Neither of those names do it justice!

Day is done... light is fading... love my hidden garden... Oh, thank You, Father.

This is a re-post from April 2009.  It is still one of my favorite makeovers at the Bungalow.  Here is a photo from 2010 just before Little Man's birthday party. 


I am linking this to Kim's Wow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style.

10 comments:

California Girl said...

So happy to see you back!!!! Cheerful photos of a garden coming back.

Margo said...

Hello, this is my first visit to your blog. thanks for commenting on mine. Love what you did with your backyard space. Glad to see that the barn sale items went to a good home. And I see you got one of my cross street signs.
Thanks for coming.
Margo-Robojunker

Tanna said...

CG, thank you! I am happy to be back! So glad to have you visit!

Margo, I LOVE the street sign! It was my favorite find... I had a hard time resisting the second one! Any ideas on a post? I am going to have to visit your shop!

Unknown said...

Love what you've done.

Amanda said...

I LOVE it! Can't wait to see it in person! Looks like a good place for us to hang out and enjoy lemonade while little H will have lots of shade for play! =)

Tanna said...

TLG and AC,

Thank you and, yes, Little H was definitely in mind with this design. =) Love ya'll.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Tanna, I love it. Such a beautiful spot to enjoy and no more grass to try and keep alive. Our backyard was nice sod a few years ago and last year it completely was taken over by weeks and moss. My husband is going to decrease the grass area and make more of a natural area. We have to spray what is left on the ground and kill it all off and start over. Ugh! Thanks for sharing this wonderful garden at my party.

Southwest Cottage Designs said...

What a beautiful and pleasant setting! I love it!

Anonymous said...

hi, good site very much appreciatted

Unknown said...

I just popped in and checked out your little hidden garden. I love your eclectic style and like to decorate with signs and broken pottery too. Great job! Happy Spring Ya'll from Houston, TX!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Numbers 6:24-26

The Lord bless you and keep you;
the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you;
the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.