Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Truth

A dove-gray fog filled my neighborhood this morning: wet, cool, soft... a gentle caress to walk through... filled with a heady, earthy, rich scent. I sucked in deeply. I gave thanks.

As I ventured along, I pondered a subject recently encountered on another blog regarding truth. The author's point being that the truths we hold dear may not be self-evident. I guess I would argue that "truths" are always "self"-evident and less often "other"-evident. Those who share similar values and convictions see similar "truths." Those who do not... obviously, do not.

There is Truth. My guess is that even the most fortunate soul only partially grasps a piece of Truth. Our egos, our minds, our experiences, our environment, our families of origin and the folks we meet along the way all shape our belief systems. I'm guessing none of those influences represent the Truth well. And, even the most studious and devout seeker is not immune to the ego and its contaminated thinking. I am always amused at the self-examining, pontificators (include myself here). We tend to elevate ourselves because we "consider thoughtfully." We enjoy a cliquish, snobbery clothed in do-gooderdom (I know I have made up a few words).


No ego there.

But, I enjoy seeking the Truth... for me it centers around a merciful and loving God. I find evidence of that Truth in soft morning fogs...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Numbers 6:24-26

The Lord bless you and keep you;
the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you;
the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.