Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Ranunuclus 2 Troubles, The Deep End and Noro Fun



So, thanks to the wonder of Ravelry, another knitter saved my hide in being able to finish the second Ranunculus.  This one is done in Shirakaba by Noro (worsted weight - 42% Silk, 40% Cotton and 18% Wool).  It is a discontinued yarn and I ran out of the ones from my stash only a few centimeters from finishing.


I absolutely LOVED it when I tried it on UNBLOCKED.  But, after blocking, it was just too floppy, slide-y off my shoulders.  It got on my last nerve after wearing it all one day!  So, I did something I've never done with one of my good knits... I put it in the washing machine... eco-warm, handwash setting.


The, I put it in the dryer on a delicate setting.  This is just as it came out of the dryer.  Sucked back into shape and fitting like I wanted it to (the mannequin photos are post washing machine).   HOWEVER, this experience has me slightly stalled from starting number 3.  I want to do it in Madelinetosh Light... and I'm debating dropping a needle size or two.  The verdict is still out.


Speaking of first times!  This little guy jumped off the DEEP END for his first time while staying with us last weekend!  Oh, how he practiced and practiced in the shallow end wanting to be like his big brother who was jumping off the diving board on the other end.


I was afraid he might wear himself out getting ready!  But, you can see by this face, he was sooooo proud to have made the jump!  We are proud of you, too, Roo!


Nothing like the feeling of facing your fears and overcoming!


And, it doesn't hurt to be cheered on by your big brother.  Plus, the joy of knowing you can jump in the deep end... just like him.  ;)  Oh, summer fun!


In a rush dashing out the door Saturday NEEDING something to do with my hands... I grabbed a skein of Noro, a crochet hook and a stitch book.  I'm loving the look of this spike stitch and I think I see a vest in the making!


Meanwhile, fall is moving ever closer... all the Littles except Miss B start back to school this week and she starts next Monday!  How can this summer have passed so fast??

We thank you for your prayers for Johnny... they are deeply appreciated.

Here's to having the courage to jump into our own deep ends... whatever they may be.  

blessings ~ tanna

20 comments:

Mereknits said...

Well done by your brave grandson. ANd well done by you facing the fear of drying a project, glad that it shrunk to the right size, it is gorgeous.

Stitchy Mc Floss said...

Oh beautiful work. I always look forward to seeing the beautiful things you make. Oh the pool pics look like loads of fun. :) I will continue to pray for Mr. Johnny. Sending you ((hugs)) sweet friend and blessings to you always. :)

podso said...

What a good example our little ones can be to us in their courage and faith. I think I would also have washed the Ranunculus as you did--and congratulations on taking the leap--it looks great! I'm glad you're happy with it. I had to smile at your last comment. So often when we are heading out for somewhere that will take more than a 10 minute drive I desperately look for something to crochet.. often grabbing a hook and some yarn. Love to keep my hands busy. Look like you have a promising project going there with some fun colors. Ah, school has started here too.

Lynne said...

Way to go Roo!
Good job!
Thank you for cheering him on big brother!

Don't you love their fresh, tanned, smooth faces . . .
Makes me want to reach out and hug them both!
Both boys look so GRAND!

You were brave to put your knitted piece in the washer/dryer!
Sounds like it did the trick!
So beautiful tanna . . .
What a talent!

Keeping your friend and her Johnny in my caring . . .

Happy end to these summer days . . .

Linda said...

Beautiful job on that sweater...it looks so different with a different yarn!
Those boys are adorable...and your hubby looks pretty darn good too! ☺️
Hope things turn around for your friend....
Enjoy the rest of your week....thanks as always for your lovely comments over at mine.
Cheers!
Linda :o)

steph said...

oh, i do love that sweater....and good for you for trying the rescue which obviously worked beautifully! (I might have just frogged it.....lesson learned here for me, too!!!! Nothing to lose by trying!)

Jumping in those scary waters.....throwing a sweater in those scary washing machine waters....win-win-win!!! way to go!!!

Amy at love made my home said...

Your work is beautiful as always!

Nonna Rose said...

How awesome that you got to share such a proud moment with Roo. Yay! Love the tops, I think I will knit one too. Great job, and proud of you for taking the risk of reshaping your second top in the washer.

La Table De Nana said...

Your stitchery is just so perfect and advanced..bravo..and happy it turned out..I know what you mean by the last nerve w/ a piece of clothing..I know..I will ever like to wear that again..I have saved some things too..but few..some were just wrong..all wrong for me.

Your hbby and Roo have gorgeous happy smiles!!!
Makes your husband look so young!

karen said...

I love ravelry and the kindness of other crafters!! your sweater is beautiful. I remember when my kids were little and they first jumped off the diving board, oh the butterflies in my stomach!!

Cranberry Morning said...

Always so great when one decides to step out in faith into something that is scary but you know there's someone bigger than you watching on. A great step for that little guy! And I had to Google ranunculus to know what it actually is. I'd never heard of that before. Anyway, yes, a brave step you took too, in putting that sweater (beautiful colors by the way) into the washer and dryer!! Love the colors of your crochet project.

Judy S. said...

Nice work reclaiming your Ranunculus, and what a brave way to fix it! Isn't it fun to watch the GK conquer their fears? And I agree, summer is flying by way to quickly, but all days seem to do that now. Enjoy you weekend!

Rose said...

I love how your project turned out. Lorelei has been back in school since the 9th!

Mereknits said...

Tanna,

Thinking of you and your family during this horrible storm. Hope you are all safe.

Meredith

Dewena said...

A very brave guy! He'll remember this when he has other hard things to tackle. Wish I had gotten enough nerve to jump off the high dive when I was 14. I backed down the ladder and never went up again!

How nice that your experiment with washing and drying that glorious top turned out just right. Me thinks you are one smart cookie!

Catherine said...

Dear Tanna, Thinking of you and yours during this hurricane. I pray that you and your loved ones are safe. xoxo Catherine

likeschocolate said...

The sweater is fantastic and is that a blanket! I have a soft spot for blankets. I am always getting my mom to make me new ones.

Jill at emeraldcottage said...

Glad you sorted your top out in the end, it's gorgeous, I love the colour :) Spike stitch piece looking good too 😀
Jillxo

Tanya Breese said...

well good for him! i bet it's impossible to keep him out of the deep end now! what a brave little guy! i love your sweater!

Unknown said...

Hi, just found your blog and got lost in reading many posts...thanks. Very interesting and being a knitter and crocheter...loved your beautiful garments. Truly lovely. New follower.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Numbers 6:24-26

The Lord bless you and keep you;
the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you;
the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.